Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Enrichment



Well, we had a lot of food and a lot of stocking stuffers thanks to you sisters. If anybody else wants to blog about that evening, feel free. I just had some pictures and thoughts to share. Thanks so much to the Enrichment Committee for all your hard work and preparation. Everything went so well! The Cultural hall looked beautiful! Aida gave a great and touching lesson about charity and visiting teaching. The food was delicious. We also had plenty of stuff to put in stockings. In fact, we ended up going back and dropping some more stuff in finished ones, because we had a lot of things left over. I had a really nice time and really appreciate the generosity of you sisters. Thanks to all those who made stockings. Thanks to those who brought food and toys and goodies to put inside.

I really liked how everyone pitched in to get something done. Some women worked on cards (and did a really great job), and some stuffed stockings. We worked as a team and it all got done really fast. I also appreciate the chance I had to get to know some of you a little better. I'm sorry that more of us couldn't be there, but I know it was a busy week and many sisters had conflicts. Next time!

Jo Lynn and I delivered the stockings the next morning and the agency we brought them to were so excited and impressed that we made 100! I bet there will be some happy little boys and girls tomorrow when they pick them up. Thanks again for everything you do. Thanks to those who helped us set up and clean up. That was incredibly helpful. I didn't think I was going to make it home that night. Thanks also to the Elders' Quorum for the babysitting.

I'd love to hear how you all felt about the evening.

4 comments:

  1. I just found this on Lds.org

    Apostle Urges Students to Use New Media

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Print Email Article
    Back


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    LAIE, Hawaii 15 December 2007 Two hundred graduating students at Brigham Young University-Hawaii were urged today to use the Internet — including blogs and other forms of “new media” — to contribute to a national conversation about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

    Elder M. Russell Ballard, a senior apostle in the Church, told the mostly Mormon student body that conversations about the Church would take place whether or not Church members decided to participate in them.

    Continued

    Photos (1)
    Description
    Since 2000, approximately 500 students graduate from BYU-Hawaii each year.

    © Courtesy of BYU-Hawaii.

    Download
    For Screen (20K)
    For Print (1,429K)

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Next Previous

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    “We cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches,” he said.

    “While some conversations have audiences in the thousands or even millions, most are much, much smaller. But all conversations have an impact on those who participate in them. Perceptions of the Church are established one conversation at a time.”

    Church leaders have publicly expressed concern that while much of the recent extensive news reporting on the Church has been balanced and accurate, some has been trivial, distorted or without context.

    Elder Ballard said there were too many conversations going on about the Church for Church representatives to respond to each individually, and that Church leaders “can’t answer every question, satisfy every inquiry and respond to every inaccuracy that exists.”

    He said students should consider sharing their views on blogs, responding to online news reports and using the “new media” in other ways.

    But he cautioned against arguing with others about their beliefs. “There is no need to become defensive or belligerent,” he said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this on LDS. org

    Apostle Urges Students to Use New Media





    LAIE, Hawaii 15 December 2007 Two hundred graduating students at Brigham Young University-Hawaii were urged today to use the Internet — including blogs and other forms of “new media” — to contribute to a national conversation about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

    Elder M. Russell Ballard, a senior apostle in the Church, told the mostly Mormon student body that conversations about the Church would take place whether or not Church members decided to participate in them.

    Continued

    Photos (1)
    Description
    Since 2000, approximately 500 students graduate from BYU-Hawaii each year.

    © Courtesy of BYU-Hawaii.

    Download
    For Screen (20K)
    For Print (1,429K)

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Next Previous

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    “We cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches,” he said.

    “While some conversations have audiences in the thousands or even millions, most are much, much smaller. But all conversations have an impact on those who participate in them. Perceptions of the Church are established one conversation at a time.”

    Church leaders have publicly expressed concern that while much of the recent extensive news reporting on the Church has been balanced and accurate, some has been trivial, distorted or without context.

    Elder Ballard said there were too many conversations going on about the Church for Church representatives to respond to each individually, and that Church leaders “can’t answer every question, satisfy every inquiry and respond to every inaccuracy that exists.”

    He said students should consider sharing their views on blogs, responding to online news reports and using the “new media” in other ways.

    But he cautioned against arguing with others about their beliefs. “There is no need to become defensive or belligerent,” he said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love that we did a service project for Enrichment Night. There's nothing better than thinking of others and serving our community- I LOVE it! These are the kinds of things that are good for our children to see. Thanks to all those for organizing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas Enrichment Night looks wonderful. I was looking up different activities to do for enrichment at christmas and ran into this blog. I was wandering what you put in the stockings and who they were going to. Also were the cards for the stockings as well? Please describe the night for me.
    Sincerely,
    Looking for ideas

    ReplyDelete