Thursday, February 14, 2008

Children at the Cannery

I just got off the phone with a lady at the cannery and she said that it is okay for children to be at the cannery doing the dry pack as long as they are old enough to help. There's no official age limit or rule, but use your judgment. She said a two or three year old would not be a good idea. I went to the Stockton cannery over Christmas break and my four year old nephew was a fantastic helper and loved the experience. I asked about infants in a carrier or something, and she said it gets pretty dusty (if you're canning milk or flour), so you probably won't want to subject your child to that. However, there is no hard and fast rule. It's up to you. I brought my baby to the Stockton cannery and he was fine for quite a while in his carrier while we canned macaroni, beans, carrots, etc. When it got to the dusty stuff, one of us took him out of the room. Anyway, we have a backpack that I think we may stick him in for a while, and when and if it's not working out, one of us will just take him outside for a walk or something. Just thought I'd let you all know, since it's never really been clarified. It is a pretty small room though, and I don't know how many adults will be there. However, it is a great opportunity to teach young kids about the cannery and the value of food storage. It's also really fun for them.

1 comment: